Take The 5 Love Languages profile with this widget

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Seedless Avocados?

Today I ate an avocado by slicing it with a butter knife and eating it with a spoon. When I sliced the avocado, as I usually do, by cutting around the seed starting from the pointed end of the fruit and cutting all the way around it. While cutting I noticed that the knife was going pretty deep without any resistance. I thought that was interesting and when I finished and twisted the two halves apart I noticed that the seed was very small and hollow. Either it had dried out or it was just a bad seed. Or maybe it was genetically engineered to have a small seed. Has anybody seen a hollow seed that you can cut with a butter knife before? I know I've seen it in peaches and nectarines where you can cut the fruit and the seed is already cracked in half on the inside.

2 comments:

  1. thats a cuke avocado. if you grow your plant from seed and dont have any other nearby trees, you will get fruit with small or no seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it's a grafted tree, avocados need another tree to polinate. Polen from one tree goes to the flowers of another tree and then the flowers turn into fruit. Otherwise it will just have beautiful flowers but no fruits without polen.

    ReplyDelete